Saturday, January 9, 2010

This is Daniel in the Lion's Pit by Peter Paul Rubens (1577-1640). It is on display in the National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C. It is a huge picture - more than 7 feet high and almost 11 feet wide. Several times while I was in seminary in Washington, I would take the bus/subway to the Art Gallery and sit in the room where this hangs (seating provided). It is an awesome picture to behold. The lions seem life size and quite fearsome. It overwhelms me.

This is a Lion I met in Africa (no cage, no zoo). He appears playful, but I assure you in person he is also quite fearsome.

There is much in life that brings fear into our hearts. We who believe in and follow Jesus are children of the God who is more powerful than anything in the universe. We can trust that whatever happens to us in life our Father in heaven will give us strength and courage to face our worst fears. He will stand with us in life and in death. Nothing can, nothing will ever separate us from his love. This is what truly overwhelms me. --Rich

1 comment:

amanda said...

I have heard you mention this painting more than once...now I understand why. It must be breathtaking "in person"! Thank you for posting this while we are studying Daniel.