Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Hidden talents...

Celebrate your talents, whatever they are!



As a side note...Mel does a "peacock", which brought back memories. As a young bride, I moved to the family farm with my husband. As we were the only members of the family living here, it fell to us to take care of everything. Having been raised as a city girl, it was a wondrous adventure for me and I fell in love with everything to do with farm life. Unfortunately, most families cannot support themselves on the small rural farm so hubby and I both had "real" jobs.

I worked the evening shift and got off at 11pm. One night as I locked the car and walked to the house I heard strange noises from the barn lot. Not being brave enough to walk to the barn in the dark, I listened for a moment and then went on inside. When I saw hubby early the next morning, I told him that I had heard noises coming from the barn. His natural reaction was, "What did it sound like?"...How do you describe the noise of a peacock when you don't know what it is? I told him it sounded like something from the jungle...not a big cat, but something. His immediate response was, "It's a peafowl" (a term used in this area).

Low and behold we made our way to the barn and found that a male and female peacock had taken up residence. And they were beautiful! We kept these and others around for many years and enjoyed their sounds and the sight of tail feathers fully spread. Even today I cannot hear the sound of one without thinking of my first encounter.

No comments: