Friday, December 13, 2013

Southern Living...

I'm sure everyone is partial to the part of the world they grew up in (or currently live in). I, for one, couldn't imagine spending my life anywhere but the South. 

Having grown up with a father who thought himself half gypsy, I've lived in several areas of the Southeastern US. Each place had it's own traditions and customs but many are the same throughout the region. People can tell by your accent which state you're from (although I do get asked if I'm from Texas from time to time...but this is by those who haven't lived here and don't have a fine-tuned ear for accents), and although we may get a little upset if you support our number 1 rival college football team, as long as your accent has a southern twang, people will accept you.

Enjoyed an article this morning written by someone who had their first taste of Southern living...you might like it too:
 
Minutes after landing in the South, I realized I was somewhere very, very different from California or New York. The air indoors was perfumed with fried chicken. The air outdoors felt humid and rich. People were... smiling. For no reason that I could see.

For a few warm, smiley days, my eager (read: eager to party) hosts led me in the Southern way of life. The things they taught me (between beers) have made my real life all the better...

Although it wouldn't be hard to find more than the 8 things listed, it's a good start! Check here...

No comments: