Thursday, October 8, 2009

Food for thought (and the spirit)...

A Buddhist tale:

The cruelest, most violent Samurai in Japan decides he wants to become enlightened. He bursts into the home of an esteemed Zen Master and demands that the Master teach him how to become enlightened.

The Zen Master looks deeply into his eyes and says, "No. You are a dirty, vicious Samurai and I will not teach you!"

Enraged, the Samurai yanks out his sword and places it right at the Zen Master's neck. He hollers, "Do you have any idea who I am? I am the cruelest Samurai in the world. I can cut your throat and not blink an eye."

Without skipping a beat, the Master calmly replies, "Do you have any idea who I am? I can let you slit my throat and not blink an eye!"

The Samurai falls to his knees, sobbing, overcome by the presence of a man mightier than his sword.

No comments: