Saturday, June 4, 2011

Museums and Art

I recently read an article by Kevin Kirby called “Lost in Museums”. In it he explains his disdain for works of art that have been taken from the places that originally housed them and moved to museums.
His main focus are works of religious art. “Great works of art are so often stuffed into museums not easily accessible and therefore lose a part of the humanity that was their inspiration. The saddest version of this is surely when devotional images of any religion are pilfered from houses of worship and placed in sterile mediocrity.”

He also mentions the Elgin Marbles that are currently housed in the British Museum. Surely, he says, they would be better viewed in the context of the Parthenon...where they were originally carved...wouldn't they?

One could argue both sides. While I agree that most pieces of religious art should be housed in churches, temples or shrines, the other side of the argument tells me there are those who see them in a museum that would never be able to view them otherwise. They are also protected in museums. But what of the context...what of the inspiration that caused the work in the first place? Wouldn't the pieces be better viewed in the “holy” places? Do the museums truly make them more accessible? Accessible to whom? Those who would see them in the spiritual or those who merely view them for their artistic achievement? I can't say that I have an answer...while I do agree with him on one hand, I also appreciate the fact that the museums can keep the pieces safe from harm and in the best possible condition.

I have always dreamed of seeing Michelangelo's Pieta. While I have seen a replica, in the JFK Library, to be able to view the original would be a memorable achievement...and I must say, I like the fact that if I ever do get to see it, I will have to go to the Vatican to do so.

No comments: