Sunday, May 6, 2012

Belief

One of my core beliefs is that God created each of us with a free will. We have the ability and responsibility to choose. There are those who would tell me that I should use this forum to show others the errors of their ways. Show them what is so right about "us" and what is so wrong about "them". This I could never do...

We exist in a diverse world. Where ideas abound and anyone with a computer can write a blog. That's their right. And it's my right to read them, or not. It is not my right to work to shut them down. If I cannot present the precepts of my faith and if I cannot articulate what belief in God means for me, then shame on me. It does nothing to lift up my faith if I use this space to just bring down the faith of others.

It is our responsibility to read, consider and ultimately decide what or who we will spend our time with. There are valid and important ideas to be gleaned from all belief systems. In my heart I do not believe God wants them demeaned or belittled. Although they may not be following what I percieve to be the path He has laid out, it is part of His plan that they be here. No one is born by accident and all things can bring glory.

I realize that even though there are millions of people who do not believe as I do, I do not have the right to silence them. They have a right to be heard and to be taken seriously. Sure, in the course of "surfing the net" you'll run in to all kinds of people, with all kinds of ideas about belief and faith. I am just one part.

This blog was started to reach out to the young people in my care. To help them find their way. I will not "force feed" them and tell them what to think. Each time we meet, I attempt to guide them to find their own relationship with their Creator God. It's my earnest desire to encourage them to think, read, study, meditate, pray and ultimately come to their own realizations. An heir-loomed faith is worthless...and just going through the motions of worship will never make their souls soar! But, to watch them take their first tentative steps along the path, fills my heart with joy. To be just off to the side as they walk and stumble and fall and crawl and pull themselves up again, all within God's grace is a reward beyond comprehension.

I am not here to "sell" you on anything, you must choose. Thoughtfully, meditatively, sensitively, prayerfully...

No comments: