Thursday, July 19, 2012

Perspective

I was recently reading one of Kathy Reich's "Temperance Brennan" novels. I love to watch "Bones" on TV, knew she was the creator of the character so I thought I'd see whether reading was better than watching. I chose to read "Cross Bones" which goes to Israel, deals with archeology, skeletons, ossuary's "possibly" containing the bones of Jesus' family...you get the picture. It was pretty good, but I like the show better. I think I may relate to the Tempe character in the show (but that's another discussion).

Bottom line it was a good, light read...and 99% fiction. But it got me thinking. Although I am an avid history buff and love it whenever new "Biblical" material comes to light, I don't base my faith on it. According to
Heb 11:1 "Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen." If I must have scientific proof, it's not faith. Don't take this to mean I'm anti-science...I'm not. But we have entered an age where the extraordinary discoveries of science are often times out of step with our moral ability to deal with them.

I will continue to read fiction, I will continue to watch with a wary eye all the new developments in scientific areas, and I will continue to be thrilled with new discoveries brought to light from ancient times...but I will always view them through the prism of my faith.

"Science is a great thing, we all know. But science cut free of the moorings of morality and respect for human life is a destructive force that will lead to our demise as a species." W.T. Huston

No comments: