Wednesday, January 14, 2015

No one likes shots...


but they can and do save lives!


“A one year-old just died. Paramedics were called but he was gone by the time they got there,” the resident spoke softly, obviously affected by the news. “What happened?” I asked. She told me that the child had been seen in the ER two days earlier, was diagnosed with measles and sent home. My heart sank. I had sent home a one year-old child with measles two days earlier. Was this the same child? It was. He had looked so good two days earlier, responsive, alert and in no distress. The careful follow up instructions that were given were not followed and the child developed complications and arrested. I will never forget how I felt when he died.

Read the rest of the story here...


This child and many others die because their parents do not immunize them. Fear of the shot is worse than fear of the disease...even though statistics tell us the immunizations are absolutely the best choice. I have 2 children and 2 grandchildren and would fight anyone who tried to keep me from keeping them safe from diseases that should be non-existent in our world.

I believe God gives us all gifts and doctors have a special one...he gives them the intelligence, skill and compassion to work what would seem to be miracles in any other age. I have witnessed first hand the skill of a doctor who took on my husband's case because he knew he could "fix" him. This doctor is the department head in a world renowned hospital in our area. Without red tape, without even seeing him face to face (he looked at the MRI images) he moved his entire schedule to get him into surgery. He also called each day leading up to the surgery to check on his patient...his final words with every call were "be gentle with him, one fall and he will be paralyzed from the neck down and there will be nothing I can do". He was asking us to give him a chance...and we did. And now my hubby walks and bends and plays with his grandchildren.

It breaks my heart to think that parents could be so careless...


No comments: