Thursday, March 26, 2009

Help my Unbelief....

I know there are others who struggle as I do with unbelief. If it were cut and dried, black and white it would be one thing, but so often the issues in my life are colored with shades of gray. During the struggle I reason and ponder, I try to find a solution instead of turning to the One who offers solutions to all our problems.

Perhaps it is arrogance on my part, if I handle it, I will work to get the answer I want. If I turn it to God, He will give the answer I need. It is at this point I recognize the road block...it's the sin of unbelief. Never spoken but often practiced.

I must often call to mind the words of the hymn by Issac Watts..."O help my unbelief"...
How sad our state by nature is!
Our sin, how deep it stains!
And Satan binds our captive minds
Fast in his slavish chains
But there's a voice of sov'reign grace,
Sounds from the sacred word:
"O, ye despairing sinners come,
And trust upon the Lord."

My soul obeys th' almighty call,
And runs to this relief
I would believe thy promise, Lord;
O help my unbelief!
To the dear fountain of thy blood,
Incarnate God, I fly;
Here let me wash my spotted soul,
From crimes of deepest dye.

Stretch out Thine arm, victorious King,
My reigning sins subdue;
Drive the old dragon from his seat,
With all his hellish crew.
A guilty, weak, and helpless worm,
On thy kind arms I fall;
Be thou my strength and righteousness,
My Jesus, and my all.

No comments: