Thursday, May 21, 2009

The little voice...

Growing up my family did not regularly attend church. I can only think of twice that I recall seeing my father in the sanctuary...at my baptism and at my wedding. I'm not faulting Dad, he had his own path to follow.

Most of my worship experience was thanks to my two grandmothers. As an adult I realize that they were the ones who kept me in touch with God. He never left me but I didn't pay Him much attention for several years. There was also one other...she was a sweet little lady who picked me up on Wednesday evenings for a year or so and took me to the church's childrens program. We talked as we drove and she revealed so much in those few minutes. I watched her and the way she lived her life...her devotion to God and the church, her love of all of us "kids", her love of creatures great and small. Funny, it's been so long I have a hard time recalling her face but between her and my grandmothers I seldom have trouble knowing which path to follow. As I struggle with decisions I feel their love and hear their voices...

Someone asked me the other day how I hoped the young people in our youth group would remember me...I pray I've been an example to them as I had in these 3 ladies and that when they struggle, they'll hear my voice and know that I love them.

No comments: