Friday, May 29, 2009

Hugs...

We all know them...the "Huggers"...those people who, regardless of how long it's been since you've seen them (5 minutes, 5 days, 5 weeks), will reach out and hug you. It's their way of greeting. In my life, the hugger is normally a woman and it is simply her way of saying hello. Most of the time it's very gratifying to be hugged. It means that someone is interested enough in you to demonstrate to anyone looking that they care for you.

I've always been one to stand back, rarely initiating the hug unless it's a relative or very close friend. When my husband and I married, I was warmly accepted into his family by all. Sisters, brothers, mother, father all greet me with hugs and kisses! After growing up in a family that wasn't very demonstrative, it was a little culture shock but I must say, I love it!

Seems like the times, they are a'changing...according to the NY Times, this has become a common greeting amongst the young people. I know, I know, we have to be concerned about unwanted touching but it seems we should not just dismiss this outright, is it really a problem to greet one another with a hug? Take a couple of minutes to read the article...

No comments: