Monday, February 15, 2010

President's Day Prayer

In honor of Presidents day...
A Prayer for Guidance by George Washington

O eternal and everlasting God, I presume to present myself this morning before thy Divine majesty, beseeching thee to accept of my humble and hearty thanks, that it hath pleased thy great goodness to keep and preserve me the night past from all the dangers poor mortals are subject to, and has given me sweet and pleasant sleep, whereby I find my body refreshed and comforted for performing the duties of this day, in which I beseech thee to defend me from all perils of body and soul....

Increase my faith in the sweet promises of the gospel; give me repentance from dead works; pardon my wanderings, and direct my thoughts unto thyself, the God of my salvation; teach me how to live in thy fear, labor in thy service, and ever to run in the ways of thy commandments; make me always watchful over my heart, that neither the terrors of conscience, the loathing of holy duties, the love of sin, nor an unwillingness to depart this life, may cast me into a spiritual slumber, but daily frame me more and more into the likeness of thy son Jesus Christ, that living in thy fear, and dying in thy favor, I may in thy appointed time attain the resurrection of the just unto eternal life bless my family, friends, and kindred.


A sampling of prayers from other Presidents can be found here...

Today is designated as President's day to honor two of our greatest. It originally started as a celebration of George Washington's birthday (on February 22). After Abraham Lincoln's service to our country, some states chose to observe his birthday on February 12)instead. In an effort to honor them both, a day was chosen that falls between the two dates. Even though this day was chosen because of two specific presidents, I find it is a good time to lift up our current President as well. To offer prayers and petitions for guidance. Who among us is not served by prayers lifted in our names, most particularly one on whom so much rests? Take a moment and do your part.

No comments: