Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Thomas Merton

"Every moment and every event of every man's life on earth plants something in his soul." Thomas Merton

I only discovered his writings in the last couple of years. He was a distinct yet ordinary man. He was distinct because of his faith and his approach to God. He was ordinary (at least in the eyes of the world) because of his love of and need to be a part of nature.

I have noticed something similar in my own life. The days can become a burden, they weigh me down...physically, mentally, spiritually. If I can spend but a few minutes in the arms of nature...walking through the trees, sitting at the side of our pond, lying on the grass with grandson watching the clouds, I am refreshed. My soul sings and my heart is full. God knows what we need and has provided it right outside our front door.

No comments: