Friday, June 11, 2010

Anonymity again...

Back in April, I wrote this piece about the subject of anonymity. Although the April posting was actually directed toward those who add "comments" while choosing to remain anonymous, it prompted me to consider why I write on this blog the same way.

There are a number of people who know me and know that I am the main contributor to this site. In that sense, I am not "invisible". So why do I choose to write as if I am?

Why do I hide from people I don't even know? Does it give me a false sense of courage to speak out against what I perceive to be injustice? If I don't sign my name, can I convince myself that it's acceptable to "rant" without explaining my reasons or backing them up with documentation? Would I put more time and effort into the process of researching and writing if I were held responsible?

Or am I afraid that someone out there might disagree with me? In person, I love a good debate. I have no problem facing off in a discussion and it is rare that it ever escalates into anything more than that. I can have a healthy meeting of the minds with my friends and remain just that, friends. Why would you be any different?

There's one final question. Does it hurt my credibility because I do not reveal my identity to you? Would you trust me more if I posted name, address and picture? Does it even matter to you? Or does it just matter to me?

No comments: