Monday, June 7, 2010

Phrases you know...

While I would like to take credit for compiling the following list, I did not...(may I also mention I would love to have the time to compile such a list...perhaps someday when I have less than two jobs, no children to raise, no housework or garden, come to think of it, I like things just the way they are so I'll continue to post other peoples work from time to time..but promise to give them the credit!)...

The following commonly used phrases are thought to be originally coined by William Shakespeare (many say these combinations of words did not appear in print before Shakespeare’s works):

All that glitters is not gold
All’s well that ends well
Bated breath
Dead as a doornail
Fancy-free
Fool’s paradise
For goodness’ sake
Good riddance
Heart of gold
In a pickle
Knock knock! Who’s there?
Laughing stock
Love is blind
Naked truth
Neither rhyme nor reason
One fell swoop
Star-crossed lovers
Pomp and circumstance
Pound of flesh
Primrose path
Too much of a good thing
Wear my heart upon my sleeve
What’s in a name?
Wild goose chase
The world’s my oyster

I was quite amazed at the number...but for such a prolific and eloquent writer it should be no surprise. By the way, the Pioneer Woman published the list...she has a really fun blog!

No comments: