Thursday, December 2, 2010

Labels

I don't believe in coincidence. I believe all things happen for a purpose. Now that you know that, you should also know that I'm not surprised by my lunchtime reading today...

Yesterday I posted this..."Names are important to us. Not only are they the way we know one another, they are the way we describe one another. Over the course of this Advent season...I will explore some of the Names of Jesus...they are many and varied. Above all, He is the Alpha and Omega...but that one will come later."

In an effort to decide which of the "Names of Jesus" I would choose, I printed a list off the Internet...there were 103.

Today as I was reading Chasing Francis by Ian Morgan Cron I came across the following "Labels are misleading. They objectify people. They are a form of relational laziness. We think that if we can nail a person's label, we've got them all figured out and we don't need to spend time getting to know who they really are. People are always a lot more complicated than their labels."

Funny that yesterday I described the Names of Jesus as "many and varied"...and that they are. We cannot put Jesus in a box. We cannot ever hope to "figure Him out". I will still be writing on the same theme this month but in doing so, I will keep in mind the quote and see to it that I never become lazy in my attempt to have a relationship with Jesus.

No comments: