Monday, April 11, 2011

Human rights...

I try to stay out of the political arena when it comes to writing this blog. In my personal life I am active...my children have often teased me about my "letter writing" to politicians. It is good natured teasing...it is one of our rights as citizens and they have witnessed it, first hand.

Since when has it become a right "not to be offended"? Is this a written law that I have somehow missed? When one mentions free speech, many in our country stand a little straighter because they know they are allowed to speak their mind. That's the way it should be, isn't it? How can we grow without the free exchange of ideas? Even if those ideas step on my toes...it is still your right to speak them. If I don't like it then it's my right to respond and explain why I think you're wrong.

There is a lot of controversy in Australia these days about free speech...and you're welcome to research it if you'd like...But I think James Allan of "The Australian" says it pretty well...

The only valuable sort of freedom of speech is the sort that allows people to do or to say what others find wrong-headed, offensive, distasteful and intolerant.

Being free to say and do what everyone else wants you to say and do is not a liberty or freedom you will ever have to fight for; it will make little difference to anything . . .

I think any good, well-functioning democracy requires its citizens to man up and grow a thick skin. If you’re offended, tell us why the speaker is wrong. Don’t ask for a court-ordered apology and some two-bit declaration.


After all, even Pirates had rights...

No comments: