Thursday, April 7, 2011

I always knew He was there...




Most of us know the story of Helen Keller, even if you're too young to remember the black and white movie "The Miracle Worker". I recall being depressed, almost despondent during the beginning of the movie...at the thought of being blind and deaf. What kind of life could she possible have? But I was young and by the end of the showing, I knew how full a life she was destined to have..."The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched, they must be felt with the heart." (Helen Keller) She became many things...an author and activist among them. When she was introduced to Christianity by Phillip Brooks it is said she exclaimed, "I always knew He was there, but I didn't know His name!"

I have often thought of Miss Keller when I am struggling...God provided a teacher for her, one who was patient and persistent, one who opened the world to a child that many thought would never have an opportunity for life. He provides for us all, if we will but let Him...

Four things to learn in life:
To think clearly without hurry or confusion;
To love everybody sincerely;
To act in everything with the highest motives;
To trust God unhesitatingly.
Helen Keller

No comments: