Saturday, November 26, 2011

The boy...

Today is my only son's birthday. No words can express how much I love him, but recently I tried...I hope he doesn't mind, but here's part of a letter I sent to him...


Dear Son,
Nothing, nothing, in life is certain. Well, except death and taxes. You have no guarantee that you will be successful according to societies terms, you have no guarantee that the one you love will be with you for your whole life, you have no guarantee that you will never be hurt. What you do have is one life. It is your responsibility to live it fully.


If I could give you all the money you need to live comfortably, with no effort on your part, if I could smooth out all of life's problems so that you never had to worry, if I could hold your heart in my hands so that it would never be broken, if I could carry you so that your walk through life would be smooth and never rough, if I could shield you with my body so that no one could ever hurt your feelings, I would NOT do so.

It has been my fervent prayer, from the day you were born, that you would have a blessed life. But blessed does not mean easy. For what does one learn from living an easy life? How does one feel any sense of accomplishment, if you never have to work for what you have?
How does one learn to put their faith in God and trust His lead if you never worry? How do you savor the sweetness of love, if you heart has never been broken? How does your body stay strong and healthy if your path is always smooth? How does one learn strength of character if your ideas are never ridiculed or your beliefs never questioned?

Your choices won't always turn out the way you want, but live your life with no regret. Treat others as you want to be treated, even if they do not do the same. When you make a
decision, go after it with all your intelligence, all your sweat, all your heart. Always give God the praise He deserves for the blessings He has given you and never forget, "To whom much is given, much is expected." Fill your life with happiness and joy, whatever your station, for you are alive in this moment of time, it is not an accident.

There is no relationship in the world like that of a man and  a woman who share life together. May you always be best of friends, the most loyal of companions, the most passionate of lovers and be a source of solace and strength one to the other. Together you CAN  face the world! Never forget, women do want a knight in shining armor...be that for her.

May you have work that makes you happy, a task to perform that fulfills your desire. You have grown to be a man of character and strength and I am proud to call you son.


Happy Birthday, Nin Ore

No comments: