Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Celebrate Pi Day!

Pi, Greek letter (π), is the symbol for the ratio of the circumference of a circle to its diameter. Pi Day is celebrated by math enthusiasts around the world on March 14th. Pi = 3.1415926535…

Personally, I am NOT a math enthusiast but I do recognize that we need it. Fortunately for me, I live in the age of the computer and calculator, otherwise I'd be lost! I suppose it's because it's viewed as hard that the majority of students will say that math is their least favorite subject. It can be difficult, but with hard work and determination, it can be mastered. Or at least that's what I keep telling my grandson!

Now, how many can tell me why March 14 was chosen as "Celebrate Pi Day"?

It can be fun too! There are books that make the concepts easier to understand...one such book is:

Sir Cumference and the Dragon of Pi (A Math Adventure)

Sir Cumference and the Dragon of Pi (A Math Adventure)
By Cindy Neuschwander, Wayne Geehan

When Sir Cumference drinks a potion which turns him into a dragon, his son Radius searches for the magic number known as pi which will restore him to his former shape.





Assisted by his knight, Sir Cumference, and using ideas offered by his wife and son, King Arthur finds the perfect shape for his table.

Now how does one go about celebrating today? One of the best is by eating pie! And, of course, discussing the relevance of "pi".Some places also hold contest to recite "pi" (there are over a million numbers and counting!).

The town of Princeton, NJ hosts numerous events in a combined celebration of Pi Day and Albert Einstein's birthday, which is also March 14. Einstein lived in Princeton for over twenty years while working at the Institute for Advanced Study. If you travel to Princeton, you can also enter the annual Einstein look-alike contest.

I think I'll start my celebration with Lemon Meringue or maybe Blueberry...decisions, decisions!
Thanks to Stephanie for bringing this important event to my attention!

 

 


No comments: