Thursday, March 29, 2012

LOTR

Rare is the book that you can pick up time after time and find something new in the story. But Lord of the Rings (LOTR) certainly qualifies in this regard. Although it can technically be broken down into (3) books, my copy has them all between the covers.

The written word, in the form of books and stories, are my forever friends. Through a series of events, I was introduced to LOTR in high school and since have often spent time in Middle Earth. Although I do believe my son may have lingered more often and longer, he has no more love of them than I do.

Throughout different times in my life, Tolkien's words and characters have spoken truth to me:
  • Through Sam I see a purity of spirit not often seen in our world and through him I have learned the value of sacrifice and loyalty. He is a beautiful example of how to face grim times with a smile on my face.
  • Through Frodo, I have witnessed the break down of an innocent and loving heart. He is influenced by evil that is beyond his control and from which he cannot walk away. He sacrifices his joy of life in order to serve the greater good.
  • Through Aragorn, I learned that assuming responsibility is required of grown-ups. That one's word is one's bond and that retreat from obligation is dishonorable.
  • Through Theoden, I learned that dying on a battlefield fighting evil is preferable to merely wasting away in old age.
  • In Eowyn I found a kindred spirit. I sometimes share her frustration at being limited because of being female and whole heartedly agree with her fear of being held behind the bars in a cage (whether real or imagined) "until use and old age accept them, and all chance of great deeds is gone beyond recall or desire"
LOTR is an epic tale of a world that you could almost convince yourself actually exists. This, of course, is due to Tolkiens wit and intellect along with his pen. At times I have believed that he may have seen a glimpse of that world beyond the great gray rain-curtain of this one.

No comments: