Friday, December 7, 2012

A place of pain...

An excellent article on the upcoming cinematic debut of the well loved "Les Miserables". 

Good actors find a way to connect with the characters they are playing. Anne Hathaway was not different:

One woman she saw in a video clip had a particular effect on Hathaway and was, in fact, the person who influenced her characterization the most. She recalled, “She kept repeating, ‘I come from a good family. I come from a good family. We lost everything and I have children. So now I do this.’ She didn’t want to do this, but it was the only way her children were going to eat. Then she let out this sob like I’ve never heard before. And she raised her hand to her forehead, and it was the most despairing gesture I’ve ever seen. That was the moment I realized I wasn’t [just] playing a character; this woman deserves to have her voice heard. I needed to connect with that honesty and re-create that feeling. She’s nameless, I’ll never know who she is. She really was the one who made me understand why Fantine felt shame, what it’s like not just to go to a dark place, but to have fallen from a place where you didn’t think anything bad was ever going to happen to you – and the betrayal and rage you feel at life because you’ve gone through that.”

We compartmentalize so much of what we see and hear in order to keep it from touching us...if it happened long ago, it surely cannot still be happening. But it can, and it does. No matter how bright and beautiful our lives may seem, let us not forget those who suffer...many times through no fault of their own. The article is worth a read...

A reader asked for a link to the article....so sorry for not adding it in the first place! You can see it here.... 

2 comments:

karen said...

Can you post a link to the article you read?

amanda said...

I apologize for not putting that link to start with...it's been added now.