Friday, December 14, 2012

The Hobbit

Being the child of a self proclaimed gypsy, I never knew what it was like to live in one house for more than 18 months or so. Moving so frequently, it became easier over time to just not try and make friends. After all, we'd be leaving sooner or later and leaving hurt worse when you left people behind.

I filled my time with books...matter of fact, I cannot remember a time when I couldn't read and didn't have a book in my hand. 

One particularly astute high school English teacher recognized this and introduced me to "The Hobbit" and later "The Lord of the Rings" trilogy.



These stories became life-long friends from the first word of the first page. To be read and savored time and again. When my son got old enough to grasp the stories, he and his father embarked upon the quest and came to love them as much as I.

To say our copies are "dog-eared" is an understatement. And we've since added to the collection with The Silmarillion; Unfinished Tales; The Children of Hurin and others.

I loved the movies depicting the Lord of the Rings trilogy. It was as if Peter Jackson looked at the character descriptions and saw them with my eyes...particularly the Ents!

To bring things full circle, the family and I are going tonight to see the first installment of "The Hobbit"...from what I've been told it will be like greeting an old friend...we can't wait!


No comments: