Saturday, February 16, 2013

I see the moon

"Moments later, in the quiet of her pickup truck, Libby points to a pale
moon in the night sky and shares with Henry the darkest private fear of
any loyal political aide in symbiosis with a candidate who is, by
nature, flawed. "Beautiful, huh?" Libby says, "but Henry, it's only
reflected light. It needs the sun. And the Stantons are my sun. I lived
my life drawing light and warmth from them. . . . And they don't need
. . . me at all."    (From the movie "Primary Colors")



It takes a lot of guts to make this type of admission. We each strive to make our mark in the world and will fiercely protect what "we" have done. One of the most important words in the quote above is "flawed". If that which you reflect is flawed, it may make you doubly so...you contend with your own short comings, as well as the others. It would be a heavy burden to carry.

I am sure no one sets out to merely be the reflection of another, but it happens. If you found yourself in this situation, what would you do?

No comments: