Thursday, October 24, 2013

Remakes....


I'm beginning to believe Hollywood has run out of ideas. 
They are starting a disturbing trend in "re-making" movies...some of which should never even be considered. How can you truly use the word "re-make" in a sentence with "Red Dawn",

 "The Bishop's Wife"


Remade under the name "The Preacher's Wife"...I mean, who could possibly play the angel Dudley better than Cary Grant? or 

"True Grit
(I'm sorry, no one but John Wayne can play Rooster!) or 

(and this is one of the most horrible of all...) "The Women". 
The 1939 classic starring Norma Shearer, Joan Crawford and Rosalind Russell...do yourself a favor and spend a couple of hours with these wonderful, catty women!

I am not belittling the efforts of today's actors but please, are they going to start re-making Humphrey Bogart, Orson Wells and Steve McQueen movies now? Some things are better left alone.

  Imagine my heartbreak when I hear of the latest remake...The Sound of Music

Now I do know that this movie is a "love it" or "hate it" affair (there is no middle ground!), once again...Carrie Underwood (good as she is) playing Julie Andrew's role? It's depressing to say the least!



I realize I cannot stop the trend. All I can do is protest in my own way by NOT EVER watching the remakes...take that Hollywood! Too bad we cannot reason with the bosses at the studios and remind them that there are thousands of wonderful books and stories out there just dying to make it to the big screen...Keep on bringing us ever new works and we'll continue to watch and enjoy...but leave the classics alone!

No comments: