Thursday, April 17, 2008

Spring time!

I used to think I had some sort of super power...I could always tell when it was spring without ever looking outside! There were always the tell tale signs, coats, jeans and tennis shoes are replaced by tank tops, shorts and sandals. Everyone suddenly wears sunglasses. When youth arrive for a meeting, they push the envelope and come in at the last possible minute, when they come.

Don't know how it is with other groups but mine usually gets a severe case of spring fever and somehow youth meetings don't figure into the disease. I realize school is almost over for the year, spring sports are in full swing, we're planning all those life changing events like graduation and of course one must be just the exact shade of tan to match the prom dress. All these things take time and energy!

I used to try to plan outdoor games to keep them interested but after the second "water balloon war" I figured out that the youth outnumbered the leaders and therefore we became the "enemy"! By the end of the meeting, you know who was soaked to the skin!

Experience is a great teacher and I've come to realize this is a natural and normal rite...we've been cooped up all winter, it's time to be outside with the warm sunshine, flowers in bloom, etc. (especially if you or one of your friends has a convertible!)...but like all things, this too shall pass and they'll come back...and I'll be here. Now where did I put those sandals?

No comments: