Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Take up your Cross

When you hear the charge to "take up your Cross" what image comes to your mind? Is it of the Cross at sunrise like shown here? Is it the image of Christ upon the Cross? Is it the suffering, struggling Christ carrying the Cross through Jerusalem? This charge is of great consequence and should not be taken lightly, but does it mean endless and perhaps senseless suffering on your part? My image is Christ with the Cross upon His shoulders and it scares me...how could I, weak and flawed as I am, ever live up to that standard with dignity, compassion and most of all love? I cannot find the courage to be that person. But maybe I have it all wrong...

Perhaps this is a call to be transformed by the symbol of our faith. Could it be that we are called to embrace the suffering that comes with living in a fallen world? Perchance it is calling us to allow the death of our own lives, our self-centeredness and live the life abundant that God offers us. He will never ask more than we can give, nor give us a task without equipping us...I realize that "taking up my Cross" is another call for me to trust my Creator and Redeemer and open myself to be what and who He needs in a lost and fallen world. With His help, I can do that...


No comments: