Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Stop...


I know you've all heard the phrase, Stop and smell the roses and I'm sure many of you feel it is out-of-date. But in today's "busy" world, it may be more relevant than ever.

Although I am not a morning person by any stretch of the imagination, I've worked at a job for the last 20 years that requires me to be there by 7am every day. Even though my body has gotten used to getting up, my mind never will. I can always think of a reason or two to stay in bed. Growing up, it was a rule in my house that no one spoke unless you absolutely had to!

Before work this morning it struck me that by getting up so early, I am privileged to be a part of one of the most beautiful parts of the day. Sunrise. I also felt God leading me to take a few moments to enjoy the beginning of the day. Stop, breathe deep and look at the world in the early morning light. It is cool and soft and reminds me that each day is a new beginning...I get a fresh start.

I think from now on, instead of trying to figure out a way to sleep an extra 5 minutes, I may just use that time to step outside and enjoy the possibilities that God has laid before me.

No comments: