Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Surprise Answers

In preparing for last Sunday's Youth meeting, I ran across some questions I had been jotting down and decided to spend at least part of our time with the answers. As we have a small group and several were still in vacation mode, there were 6 of us present...including me. The group decided instead of each of them taking a couple questions to answer individually, we'd all answer every one of them, out loud. It was quite eye opening!

It was a joy to find that many of them were content with the way they look (ok, I said I'd like to be taller and thinner...of course they pointed out that if I were taller, I would be thinner). None of them had any major changes. Now while I love them, none are perfect so it was a thrill to find out that they had not bought in to "Madison Ave's" view of how they should look!

I saved what I thought was the big one for last..."If you could be a millionaire (where money was no object!) but only live to 50 years old or just be reasonably comfortable (pay your bills, have a decent car, take a vacation once in a while) and live to 80 which would you do?" ALL of them said they'd live to 80...now if I had listened to TV, magazine and news articles I would have known that this generation is terribly materialistic and that the majority would pick millionaire. I'm so glad I didn't listen...they are more interested in living life than spending lots of money. I'm blessed to have a great group of kids and while I'd like to take most of the credit, it belongs where it belongs...with God and their parents. Thanks for sharing them with me!

No comments: