Monday, August 31, 2009

Puff the Magic Dragon

Puff has always been one of my favorite songs. As a child I listened to it over and again and would imagine myself in the role of "little Jackie Paper". My favorite line is "Pirate ships would lower their flag when Puff roared out his name"!

As an adult I came to realize the song was about the loss of innocence we all must go through as we grow. We put away "childish things"...but I could never really put Puff away. My children heard it (oh, how many times) because they gave me a reason to play it again. The one thing that always bothered me was the ending, Jackie was growing up but Puff that mighty dragon, was left lonely in his cave. (Sappy, I know!).

My grandson was recently given a copy of the recording (hurray!) along with a beautifully illustrated book with all the words. And in the book, Puff was no longer lonely! Now while the people who prepared the book did not change the words, no, not one...they added one additional illustration. At the end of the book, on the very last page, you see a grown up Jackie Paper, looking from behind a rock as a young girl (obviously his daughter) introduces herself to Puff. And so he lives on...

The Bible tells us it is natural for us to grow and become adults with all the joys, fears, cares and worries that this entails but it also tells us that unless we come to God as little children...well you know the rest.

No comments: