Thursday, August 6, 2009

Symbols

95% of the time, I have on a necklace that contains a "nugget" my children gave me and a cross. Why do I wear them?

Obviously the nugget is important to me because of the source. My children took great pride in giving me a gift that was not "home made". While some of my most favorite gifts ever are the ones they fashioned out of paper, glue and crayons, this represented a better gift in their eyes.

We have all seen celebrities wearing crosses merely as a fashion statement. If you see me wearing mine, and you don't know me, is that what you would think? It's not huge and covered in jewels...it's plain gold and only about an inch long. The point is, I don't wear it for anyone but me. During the course of the day I may become discouraged, I can touch the cross and remember God's love. If I am fearful or uncomfortable, I can touch the cross and know God is with me. If I'm struggling with my faith, I can touch the cross and know that even though I may have doubts about God, He doesn't have them about me. If I am angry or resentful, I can touch the cross and put whatever is happening in a better perspective. If I'm feeling happy and thankful, I can touch the cross and remember the Giver of all gifts.

The bottom line is, I wear the cross as a sign of my faith. And not for the world, for myself. The symbol itself cannot show the world what it's like to live life as a gift from God, but my actions can.

No comments: