Friday, September 10, 2010

In Memory of 9/11



Be Thou My Vision
~ Irish Hymn, c. 8th century
~ Translated by Mary E. Bryne, 1880-1931
~ Versified by Eleanor H. Hull, 1860-1935

Stanza 1:
Be Thou my Vision, O Lord of my heart;
Be all else but naught to me, save that Thou art.
Be Thou my best Thought, by day or by night,
Both waking or sleeping, Thy presence my light.
Stanza 2:
Be Thou my Wisdom, Be Thou my true Word;
Be Thou ever with me and I with Thee, Lord;
Be Thou my great Father, and I Thy true son;
Oh Thou in me dwelling, and I with Thee one.
Stanza 3:
Be Thou my breastplate, my Sword for the fight;
Be Thou my whole Armour, Be Thou my true might;
Be Thou my soul’s Shelter, Be Thou my strong Tower:
O Raise Thou me heavenward, Great Power of my power.
Stanza 4:
Riches I need not, nor man’s empty praise,
Be Thou mine Inheritance, now and always:
Be Thou and Thou only, the first in my heart,
O High King of Heaven, my Treasure Thou art.
Stanza 5:
High King of Heaven, O Heaven's bright Sun!
O grant me it's joys, after victory's is won!
Great Heart of my own heart, whatever befall,
Still be my Vision, O Ruler of all.

No comments: