Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Slow Down...


By Asbo Jesus

Why is it so hard for us to slow down and take time? Even on days we're not "working" we spend our time running at breakneck speed trying to accomplish all kinds of tasks or worse, fun!

Years ago the children and I visited some folks who near and dear to me...they lived in Detroit. We flew up for the weekend and had a lovely time...but no time to savor what was happening. We were due to fly out mid-afternoon on Sunday (around 2-ish)...

We rose early Sunday morning so we could visit the zoo and have lunch in Canada before heading to the airport...(you heard me right)...needless to say our plane took off while we were stuck in the tunnel under the river.

I appreciated the fact that they were trying to show us as much of their part of the world as possible in a short period of time...and I could probably have said...whoa, stop, slow down...let's see one or the other but not both. But I didn't. Fortunately there was a plane for us to catch later in the day and we made it home without any other incident.

Whenever I find myself rushing through work or play, I stop to think of this particular weekend...it was a joy to visit with those we love, it was great to visit places we'd never been but you're not supposed to come home exhausted!

No comments: