Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Almost Christian II

I first spoke about "Almost Christian" by Kenda Creasy Dean here. I have since received the book and must admit she had my attention within 2 pages...

On page 4 she says, "...Since the religious and spiritual choices of American teenagers echo, with astonishing clarity, the religious and spiritual choices of the adults who love them, lackadaisical faith is not young people's issue, but ours." It continues, "So we must assume that the solution lies not in beefing up congregational youth programs or making worship more 'cool' and attractive, but in modeling the kind of mature, passionate faith we say we want young people to have."

I don't believe you can say it any plainer than that. The fault and the solution rests on our shoulders. And while, as Youth Director, I feel that part of the burden (please know it is a burden I have asked for and gladly carry) is mine it also rests upon the families of these young people too!

Anyone who has worked with youth can attest to the fact that it is generally easy to tell which youth come from families who take their faith seriously and those who 'entertain' it as something good, but not to be allowed to get in the way of other activities we feel are more important. Even in my small group, I know...because we are not a large congregation, I generally know even before they get to me. But what to do? How much weight does my word and life carry? How much impact do others within the congregation have with these new and developing Christians if there is no importance placed on it at home? Am I wasting my time? Am I wasting the time of the other young people who desire a life with Christ?

No...loving our neighbors as ourselves is the 2nd most important commandment according to Christ's teachings. So we do what we can to help and encourage them. But short of Divine intervention, what are the odds that we will change a lifetime spent where their spiritual life has not been emphasized? Granted, we will lose more than we keep but it's worth it if we can reach but one.

Today there is an alarming trend to send children to school to learn...with little or no reinforcement at home. When I mean learn, the teachers are expected to show them not only "reading, writing and 'rithmetic" but also discipline and manners. It is amazing how removed many of today's parents are from the lives of their young people!

I didn't intend to write this piece as a condemnation of all parents. Most are loving people. They try to provide all their children need and will fiercely protect them. But do they know the impact of their lukewarm faith? Do they know how hard they make it for their teenagers to grow and bloom as fully committed disciples of Christ? Perhaps, if enough of us speak out, they'll hear what we're saying.

I guess you noticed I titled this "Almost Christian II"...I smell sequel!

No comments: