Monday, October 4, 2010

Prayer Cloths

For many years, I have used different "tools" in my prayer life. Whether it is prayer beads, prayer shawl, icons, incense...they all serve to enhance the experience for me.

Imagine my surprise and joy at church yesterday when I found that part of the service was dedicated to prayer cloths. Every person chose a cloth as they entered the Sanctuary.

Each cloth had been knitted or crocheted by someone in the church. While they are make them, they pray for whomever may receive it. So essentially, there's a prayer in each stitch!

We were asked to hold the cloths in our hands and spend a few minutes in silent prayer for the person who would receive it from us (we traded them!)

The next few moments were spent trading with others. Some exchanged cloths just once but other cloths traveled through 3 or 4 different hands. Our Pastor asked us to continue the process until we felt we had received the cloth God intended for us.

Everyone left yesterday's worship service not only receiving God's grace through Holy Communion but armed with our cloths...knowing that they had been saturated with prayer. What a lovely concept...to know that each time hold our cloth when we enter into prayer, we do so with the love and blessings of others!

I'm sure there will be more mentioned about this at some point. Right now, I am to full to express everything in my heart.

No comments: