Monday, October 11, 2010

Freedom...

On August 22 of this year, workers found a note attached to a drill bit that had just been pulled to the surface...the note said "We are alive, well and waiting to be rescued". The note came from the men trapped in the San Jose Mine in Chile. They should all be on the surface again by the end of the week...after almost 2 months below.

But now there is a new dilemma...who comes up first? "I would like to illustrate what they are going through today with a conversation we had yesterday," Health Minister Jaime Manalich told a press conference near the mine.

"I questioned them and mentioned we were working on an order in which they would be brought out. I said the order would be determined by technical factors.

"And what was their reaction? 'Mr. Minister, that's fine but I want to go last please.' And then another guy said, 'No, my friend, I said that I was going to be the last one up.' 'No, no, really -- I want to go last, please,' another guy started saying."

What a commitment these men have made and share with one another! Knowing human nature I would have thought they would be disagreeing differently...that they would each want to be the first one out. The first to breath the fresh air, feel the sunshine, to touch loved ones...but no, these men have such a spirit of solidarity and commitment that they each want their friends to be first.

What a beautiful lesson! I pray that they will all have a safe journey to the surface and will be in good health. It's already obvious they are in good spirits!


Makeshift Altar near San Jose Mine

No comments: