Saturday, October 9, 2010

Doubt

There are many that will tell you that doubt is a sin. To doubt God imperils your immortal soul. If that's the case, then I guess I have been mislead...for the God I know...the God I believe in...the God I introduce to young people is very capable of accepting and acknowledging that we doubt. My impression is that He actually encourages it to a point.

Doubt is defined as: involves uncertainty or distrust or lack of sureness of an alleged fact. It encourages people to hesitate before acting and/or apply more rigorous methods.

I have had doubts...I may well have them again. I am at a point in my life that I do not doubt God's existence...I do not doubt His love for His creation...but I do doubt some of teachings and doctrines. Does that mean that I am better than you because I do not doubt the existence of our Heavenly Father? No...it means I have been down that path and have come out on the side of faith.

Faith is the opposite of doubt. In Hebrews 11:1 we are told "Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see". By exercising my faith and doubting when I do, I become stronger...I grow in knowledge about myself and my God. Doubt causes us to explore deeper, study harder. If I do not understand or do not like what I hear, I am obliged to search until I reach a conclusion.

Many thousands of pages have been written about faith and doubt by persons who are wiser than I. Given that, I cannot hope to adequately cover the subject with just a few lines in a blog...I can only state what I know. God loves me and like any Father is willing to let me stretch my wings until I am ready to fly.

I leave you with this:
If we are not allowed to doubt, why is this verse in Luke 11:9? "So I say to you, Ask and it will be given to you, seek and you will find, know and the door will be opened to you" What other interpretation can we have of this?

Also, as only Asbo Jesus can:

No comments: