Wednesday, August 17, 2011

How do you read it?


Do you believe the Bible to be the inerrant, infallible, unchanging Word of God? Do you take every Word literally? Do you believe that each verse stands on it's own? Or should we read the whole Bible and see it as a complete story? How do you explain the contradictions?

Exodus 15:3 The LORD is a man of war: the LORD is his name.
Romans 15:33 Now the God of peace be with you all. Amen.

John 10:30 I and my Father are one.
John 14:28 You have heard how I said unto you, I go away, and come again unto you. If you loved me, you would rejoice, because I said, I go unto the Father: for my Father is greater than I.

Proverbs 4:7 Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding.
Ecclesiastes 1:18 For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
1 Corinthians 1:19: "For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding of the prudent."

There is nothing wrong with reading the Bible as the literal Word of God. But in doing so, we must take it as a complete work...to do otherwise does not allow God His full expression. The diversity we see in His Word is a critical component in the mystery that we will never fully understand.

If He is the God we believe Him to be, claim that He is, we are committing a grave disservice when we maintain that we are the ones who understand Him. For the Word of God tells us that He is the God of all peoples...regardless of what we think.

No comments: