Tuesday, February 21, 2012

And so it begins...

Tomorrow is Ash Wednesday and the beginning of the Lenten season. Several at our church (myself included) will be following A Disciples Path on Sunday mornings. While the meeting is an hour, we must commit to reading and writing in our workbooks 5 days a week. While it sounds like it shouldn't be a big deal, we have promised to meet certain other requirements in order to make this a life changing study. I am looking forward to a time in which I will draw closer to God and allow my life to look more like His.

While I am excited about what I've chosen for Lent, my hat is off to Kevin Alton.

My challenge this year is that my fast for Lent has outward ramifications. The kind that pastors and staff committees need to know about in advance. I’m fasting from the culturally perceived need of fashion and cleanliness to experience what it would be like to be suddenly homeless with only the clothes on your back. Throughout Lent I’m restricting myself to a single set of clothing and barring myself from the use of a traditional shower or laundry facilities. If I or my clothes are clean, it will happen in a sink. Be sure and read the rest of the article .

 I expect to push myself in order to be obedient to what I'm asked to do but otherwise there will not be any discomfort. Kevin will definitely experience discomfort. Follow along with his experience at www.kevinalton.com. I'm sure it will be a most interesting read.

No comments: