Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Christian

If I profess to be a Christian, what then am I called to do?

Run outside and scream to the world, look at me, I'm a Christian?
Go to church each and every time the doors are open, just because they're open?
Spend hour upon hour praying and making sure that everyone sees me?
Or at least hears about it?
Give money hand over fist but then only on the condition that it be used the way I see fit?

or should I...

obey the commandments?
read and study the Word of God in search of truth?
love God with all my heart, mind and soul and others more than myself?
become like a child and seek to become totally dependent upon God?

In the first set of questions, I am actively "doing" what the world expects me to do...and my only accomplishment will be to get in God's way.

In the second set of questions I am passively doing what God wants me to do all the while preparing me, myself and I to do what God directs me to...with the side benefit of clearing out the clutter so I can recognize His direction when it comes.

I don't always get it right. More often than I'd like to admit, I find I've been following the wrong set of questions. But the longer I practice the second set, the quicker I get back on the right track and the more I see His Hand in my life.

God has all the answers we'll ever need, can resolve any issue that gets us off track and can soothe any pain we feel...we have only to recognize we're not in charge, He is.

No comments: