Thursday, October 9, 2008

Silence

I read an article yesterday by John Harvey and realized I was a White Noise Junkie. White noise is not anything specific but it's the need to constantly "hear" something. Apparently I've become addicted without even realizing it. I do know I am rarely anywhere without some type of sound in the background. Yes, even when I sleep, I usually leave the TV on.

By spending my life surrounded by sound, what am I missing? Peace? Serenity? The voice of God? Even though scripture tells us of God's "still, small voice", I know that He has other ways of communicating and I am getting the messages! However, He shouldn't have to compete for my attention, especially when it's something I can control.

Although it will probably be harder than I realize, I plan to work on spending at least part of every day in silence and then I'll just listen.

No comments: