Friday, October 24, 2008

Vision, etc.

Many tell me that unless I have a "vision" for the Youth group, we're dead in the water. I'm asked "How will you know when you reach your goal if there is no goal?" I have to ask in turn, "Why would I limit these young people by forcing them to follow "my" vision?" Sorry, I just can't function that way. Other than our weekly Bible Study (started with Genesis last year and will end in Revelation sometime in the future) filling a calendar with lesson plans doesn't seem to work. How do I know this 5 minutes what my group will need 6 months from now?

While I do plan big events in advance (trips, mission projects, etc.) that's the extent of it. If you were to ask what I plan to teach for Advent, I'd have to tell you I'm looking at 2 or 3 different programs but haven't felt led to pick one yet. Who knows, Advent may end up being a combination of them. I DO know what I plan to use in Sunday School this week and since we're hosting a Halloween Party for the children on Sunday night, that program is ready too! As far as concrete plans, that's as far as it goes.

I do read and keep up to date on the latest offerings from many youth oriented publications and will make notes and file for future reference (sticky notes are my best friend!) but I cannot bring myself to "set in stone" when (or if) we will study a particular program.

Youth are a work in progress and so am I. After several years I must tell you God has always pointed us in the right direction. I've been amazed at the number of times He has spoken to us...just the right words at just the right time. And then there are the times that the sermon during morning Worship lines right up with or fleshes out what we discussed just a few minutes earlier.

I'm oh so happy to know that God is more than willing to let me fly by the seat of my pants...and serve as the parachute when we need it.

No comments: