Saturday, February 14, 2009

Be my Valentine...

Today is Valentine's Day...they say it was invented by the card companies in order to sell more cards...but, there actually is a St. Valentine, or more accurately, three of them.

The one I have read of most often was a priest during the time of Emperor Claudius (Rome). Claudius decided his army was better served by single men and so decreed that they should not marry. Valentine continued to marry people despite the decree and was arrested. He spent some time and became friendly with Claudius. All was well until Valentine tried to convert Claudius. At that point he was put to death, supposedly on February 14.

We associate Valentine's Day with flowers, candy, cards and romance. I've exchanged cards and gifts today with some of my favorite men...husband, son, grandson and father-in-law...and received cards, presents and flowers too! The wonderful part of all this is that I know they love me whether I receive anything today or not. We speak of this love often...at the end of the day, at the end of a conversation or when we part company our last words are always, I love you. It is one phrase I never tire of hearing.

Amidst the celebrations today, remember those who may not receive any expressions of love...the lonely, the destitute, those who are far away either by choice or decree. Say a prayer and ask God to show them love today...whether it's spoken or not. Ask Him to touch them with His loving hands and let them know there are those who care.

Happy Valentines Day!

No comments: