Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Lent

Although we are free to (and even encouraged to) add spiritual disciplines to our lives whenever we feel led, to me the season of Lent just cries out for them.

For too many years, I saw Lent only as a time to give something up. While this is a worthy practice, we don't necessarily gain all we can from it. We "give up" chocolate, TV, soda, or something else we "love" but not to the point of really causing any hardship. The idea is that when we crave this thing, we are to spend this time in prayer. A noble thought.

What if we "give up" something dear to us and replace it with a spiritual practice i.e. reading Scriptures, prayer, meditation, etc.? During the next 40 days I will bring new (or at least new to me, some are actually ancient!) practices to this blog. Look them over and try them, I know we will both be richer for the experience.

No comments: