Friday, February 20, 2009

Rules and laws...

There are traffic laws...we don't have to follow them but if we don't we risk a ticket or worse, a wreck. Since nothing is in the car forcing me to follow all the rules, I occasionally break one. The one most often ignored is the stop sign in the middle of the 4 lane highway near my house. After all, you can see a mile in both directions...why should I stop?

This morning I left for work, got to the bottom of the hill and as usual, looked both ways then started across 4 lanes. Somehow, even though you can see a mile in both directions, I didn't see the little white car traveling down the far lanes. Thankfully, God did! It was a close call, the other car didn't have to swerve but I bet he had a few choice words for me. Needless to say, I stopped for a moment, imagined all the things that could have happened and then took a moment to thank the Father for His protection. Now, nothing makes me obey the traffic laws but you can bet I'll be stopping in the middle from now on!

It just occurred to me that the commandments and all the lessons in the Bible are the same way. We don't have to follow them, but it sure makes life better if we do...

No comments: