Thursday, January 19, 2012

The Poe Toaster

 With me, poetry has not been a purpose, but a passion.  Edgar Allan Poe
 

Every year, since at least the 1940's a man dressed in black, with a white scarf and wide-brimmed hat has visited Edgar Allan Poe's grave on his birthday. The visitor always leaves 3 roses and a half-empty bottle of cognac in tribute. And no one knows the identity of the Toaster.

Alas, this is the 3rd year in a row that he has not visited. You see, Poe fans have gathered at the grave for years to watch the mysterious man pay his tribute to the writer. He did not appear in either 2010 or 2011 but fans said they'd wait one more year before ending the tradition.  

You can read the details here...

Those who have read Poe know that his writings are prolific and varied but almost without exception, they are dark. Although I have enjoyed many over the years and heard his voice in each of them, Anabelle Lee is a favorite, ending thus...

For the moon never beams without bringing me dreams
   Of the beautiful Annabel Lee;
And the stars never rise but I see the bright eyes
   Of the beautiful Annabel Lee;
And so, all the night-tide, I lie down by the side
Of my darling, my darling, my life and my bride,
   In her sepulchre there by the sea--
   In her tomb by the side of the sea.

No comments: