Friday, June 13, 2008

Tolerance Part II

I am blessed to have a friend who reads my work. He does not chastise me for my thoughts but often questions my direction...and that's a good thing. I am most comfortable expressing myself through the written word but this comfort doesn't always translate into complete thoughts.

I spoke yesterday of tolerance from the point of "drawing a line" and I do truly believe there are times in our lives when we must make a stand. But,more often than not, we should take time to consider the thoughts of others. My friend mentioned "An aspect of tolerance often overlooked is respecting and honoring another person's beliefs. Some people can cope with dissent or disagreement as long as they feel they have actually been heard." Once again, he has made me stop and take stock of my thoughts. I allowed a couple of incidents in my life to come out in the earlier post and in doing so, made myself look quite intolerant. "If neither side will listen, nothing is gained except greater animosity and division"...listening costs us nothing but a little time; it can make all the difference in the world to the one we're listening to...

Thanks friend!


No comments: