Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Gardens...

I've always enjoyed gardening. While I tend to spend more time in the vegetables than on flowers, just playing in the dirt is a joy. It may have something to do with the fact that no matter what I do (or don't do) to the soil, it never talks back!

Obviously my endeavors don't always yield the same results. If I have a bad crop, it may be beyond my control (such as the weather) but most of the time it's directly related to my efforts. There may be pests (particularly June Bugs and Rabbits), lack of fertilizer, perhaps I planted too early or too late...each of these present a problem but can be overcome if I am diligent. If the weather cooperates and I spend a sufficient amount of time caring for the plants, the harvest will be plentiful and delicious!

It recently dawned on me that my spiritual life is much like my garden. God is always willing and available but it depends on my efforts. If I endeavor to spend time in prayer and study, the results are obvious in my work and in my life. If not, I'm as empty and dry as a desert.
Next time you find yourself feeling empty, stop and think about the past few weeks have you spent time weeding and watering or are you just hoping things will grow?

No comments: