Thursday, July 30, 2009

Politics...

Although I write this blog mainly for "my" youth and members of our congregation and although I have said more than once I won't discuss politics here and although none of my youth are old enough to vote...I still teach them about the process. We are called to be "in" the world, we cannot NOT participate.

It is crucial that we understand history and we discuss it often. Not just Biblical history but world history. American history includes the discussion on their responsibility to participate in the process. Voting is a biggie in my book. If you don't vote, you don't have the right to speak out against what you see as wrong. It is also our responsibility to stay informed about the issues. This doesn't mean checking just one source and taking their word for it, it means research. We can't be experts in every issue but we can find out enough to form and defend our position.

At the same time, we don't just have a voice during the election season. We have a voice at all times. My family has often laughed and called me a closet radical. Radical, maybe, but definitely not in the closet. Why? Because I write letters and make telephone calls. I wouldn't be surprised if my Senator's and Representative don't have me on some kind of list! I'm afraid they're not the only ones who receive mail from me, I've been known to write elected officials who don't represent me. I am proud to say I have received a response from the office of everyone I have ever written...except one ex-President. Not sure why they didn't respond...I simply and respectfully stated a position...that was it. And while we're at it, I do believe that owe respect to the Office of President and our other elected officials. That doesn't mean I like or agree with them all, it does mean that our forefathers created this government and paid for it with their lives. That sacrifice is worth respect.

Before you get excited, I know that they do not personally read the mail. They have staff for that. I do believe the staff will report an overview of how those who contact them are feeling. And on a rare occasion, may show them correspondence. It is important to let them know what we think. Otherwise we leave them to their own devices and shouldn't be surprised if they act accordingly.

Being a citizen gives you certain rights, being a Christian gives you the responsibility to stand firm on your beliefs. We are not called to hide behind our God but to be His representative. So, get busy!

No comments: