Thursday, October 20, 2011

Thoughts on Prayer...

During our lives, most of us struggle with prayer at one time or another. It's not that God makes it hard to talk to Him...we do. I read an article called "We're just Chatting" by Christina Gebel...

Eventually, after many attempts at formulaic prayer, I just simply began asking God to be present to my thoughts and then proceeded to think about my day. Sometimes, I’d realize something. Like a good therapist, I felt maybe God was there, accompanying my thoughts, leading me to ask myself the right questions in order to facilitate my own realizations. Wait, this is sounding a lot like prayer. But there was something different. Instead of putting it all out there and waiting for a spiritual light bulb, I was simply talking, without any expectation of a solution in return. And in simply talking like I would to a friend, I came to sort through what was sortable and to just release or vent what was frustrating.

What makes this better than simply talking to a friend? God is Ever-Present. Luckily, we don’t have to play phone tag. God is also abundantly forgiving, unconditionally loving, patient without limit, willing to drop everything in our time of need, and has a great sense of humor. What’s better, our friendship is unadulterated by the weaknesses of our own humanity. God is not only a good friend: He’s the model of friendship. God is what allows us to realize we have a good friend in others and what pushes us to be better friends ourselves. 

If you'd like to read more, I've linked to the article above...

No comments: